Welcome to 15 Questions, a monthly segment in which Heather James employees share a little bit about themselves and their love of art. This month features our art consultant Marie.
1. What’s your name and what do you do?
Marie St. Germain, I am an Art Consultant
2. Who is your favorite artist?
I’m kind of an art history geek and I like that you can see his progression from a realistic style to his most mature style of minimal, abstract forms.
4. What is your favorite Piece of Art and why?
It’s more like a room of paintings – The Seagram Mural room at the Tate Modern because when I was in that room I felt like I was in another world.
5. What is your favorite artwork at Heather James Fine Art?
There are too many to choose! Right now I would have to say the Mark Bradford, “Kryptonite”, because I love the texture and color.
6. What is your favorite museum in the U.S.?
There are more I need to see, but I really like MoMA.
7. Favorite international museum?
The Fondation Beyeler in Basel Switzerland. I am so happy that I get to visit in March!
8. If you could afford any piece for your home what would you buy?
A Mark Rothko painting.
9. Why and where would you put it?
I would put it in my office.
10. If you could meet any artist dead or alive who would it be?
I’d like to meet Chuck Close. His work is beautiful and his story in inspiring.
11. What is the best art account to follow on social media?
@HeatherJamesFineArt of course!
12. If you could have any artist create a portrait of you, who would you pick?
13. Do you have any artistic talent?
I like to create things like jewelry, but I wouldn’t say I’m an artist.
14. What is your first art memory?
On a trip to Italy when I was a teenager. Seeing how they live among art changed the way I thought life should be.
15. What made you want to work in art, was there a particular moment?
After that trip to Italy, I knew that I wanted to be involved in art, but not be the artist myself. I decided to major in Art History and loved every class. I couldn’t imagine doing anything else and I have a very supportive family who encouraged me to do what I love.