Selection of Claude Monet works recently sold by Heather James.
Monet and his works are a specialty for us at Heather James Fine Art, having sold dozens of his paintings over the years. Our consultants are experts in Monet’s oeuvre and market. We look forward to answering any questions you may have about Monet or any other Impressionist masters.
“For me, a landscape does not exist in its own right, since its appearance changes at every moment; but the surrounding atmosphere brings it to life – the light and the air which vary continually.” – Claude Monet
- It is unlikely that Monet’s paintings will ever depreciate. The supply of privately held works dwindles year after year as more works enter permanent museum collections.
- 7 of the top 10 Monet prices were achieved within the past 5 years
- 4 of the top 10 Monet prices were achieved in 2022
- Since 1976, Monet paintings have increased at a 9.9% annual rate of return.
- Of the 1,900 approximate paintings by Monet in existence, there are currently about 800 paintings owned privately worldwide that could ever come up for sale. Over time, many of the 800 privately-held works will inevitably make their way into museum collections, further limiting supply.
- Many of our wealthiest international clients seek blue-chip artworks as investments, particularly Monet paintings, because they are tangible, portable assets.
- Since 1999 Monet’s market has consistently outperformed the S&P 500.
Top Results at Auction
"Meules" (1891) sold for $110,747,000.
"Nymphéas en fleur" (c. 1914-1917) sold for $84,687,500.
"Meule" (1891) sold for $81,447,500.
"Le bassin aux nymphéas" (1919) sold for $80,379,592.
“Other painters paint a bridge, a house, a boat… I want to paint the air in which the bridge, the house and the boat are to be found – the beauty of the air around them, and that is nothing less than impossible.” – Claude Monet
Heather James Recently Sold Monet Works
"Le Château d'Antibes"
"Prairie, Ciel Nuageux"
"Falaise a Varengeville"
"La Route de Vetheuil"
"Coup de vent"
"La Seine Près de Vétheuil, Temps Orageux"
"Les Rosiers Dans le Jardin de Montgeron"
"La Maison du Douanier, effet rose"
"Pots de Tulipes"
"Mer agitée à Pourville"
"Pres Dieppe, Reflects Sur le Mer"
"La Lieutenance de Honfleur"
"Le Mont Riboudet a Rouen au Printemps"
"Le Chemin du Petit Ailly a Varengeville"
"L’Entrée du petit bras à Vétheuil"
“The motif is insignificant for me; what I want to represent is what lies between the motif and me.” – Claude Monet
Selection of top works recently sold by Heather James.